Saturday 18 June 2011

My First Attempt

I think I'm going to go with the patterns with the screenprinted type. It's something totally new to me, so I figured I'd give it a try. The article I'm starting with is a new addition, one I didn't put into the initial three: it's about Japan and how 7 more people have dangerously high radiation levels in their bodies.

I sampled various traditional Japanese patterns and manipulated two of them
I deconstructed the first, so it would look like flowers flying away or dying and redrew the second so it would subtly contain a radiation symbol. it's not very clear yet, I'm going to redraw it so it's a little less subtle. Anyway, here is my attempt:

Again, this will just be a sort of expressive canvas on which I am planning to make a typographic composition. I think I will keep the type in the entire series uniform in terms of color, maybe just white, but I will try to make it expressive.

Does this direction have potential?

3 comments:

  1. Ok Nick,
    in the end I see you are going with the patterns and I like it and I like the topic.

    I agree that you have to make the symbol less subtle.
    I can't really see how you want to compose the canvas, how the 2 symbols and type go together but be careful to balance the directness of the message and the visual impact which has a big potential, it strikes me when I look at it.
    The white figures really stand out of the background almost floating.

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm... nice concept... be careful of being too decorative with this...kinda defeats the purpose of the piece... what are you trying to say here? what's the final medium for this?

    also, why the repetition of the white flower pattern? if you actually want to make it into a pattern why not apply it onto a bio hazard overall suit? those usually come in white or grey, make it colorful but with purpose... there's a lot of packaging and merchandising that could be created with the pattern.

    olga

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, guys

    the white flower pattern is taken from a traditional japanese motif and manipulated to allude to the radioactivity symbol.
    Though the visuals are referencing textile design which is generally purely decorative, I'm trying to play with the idea of pattern and insert meaning into it. It's kind of a tongue-in-cheek play on the search for patterns in looking through the news, our lives, and our work. There will be type over it too, I just want to figure out the patterns first

    ReplyDelete